Sunday, September 20, 2009

A fun day at the zoo


My favorite pictures of my girls always include at least one shot of their backs. I love seeing them interested in something and seeing it through their eyes. Of course, they have beautiful faces, but there is something about seeing what they see that is so compelling. Today was a great day...woke up this morning and outta nowhere I asked Eric if he thought it'd be too hot to take the girls to the zoo. It'd been a while since we'd been there even though we have zoo memberships. We both decided that if we did it early enough in the morning it would probably be ok. It has been really hot so going to the zoo is not the first thing that comes to mind when you're looking for ideas on how to entertain your kids. With that said, we came down this morning, had breakfast really quick and by 9 AM we were out the door and on our way to see the animals. The girls were both SOO EXCITED. I love seeing their faces light up when they are happy. We started by going over to see the giraffes and then we went and saw the cheetas, rhinos, lion, the baboons...and ended the trip at the splash pad to cool off. Maile was absolutely excited about the splash pad at first...then as soon as she felt the cold water she started crying and decided she was now ready to go home. A few minutes later after I'd gotten her in the stroller ( this was after I had changed both girls into their bathing suits) she asks: "Mommy, can I go play in the water now??"...I could not believe it. 5 minutes later they were both giggling and having the time of their lifes.

On our way out both girls asked if they could go on the carousel. Again Maile says..."Mommy, I think I wanna ride the giraffe."...so on we went and got on the giraffe.. 2 seconds later she goes..."Mommy, I am scared I don't think I wanna ride anymore". So I took her over and we both sat on the bench while her younger sister is bravely awaiting for the ride to start. Audrey decided she wanted to ride the dolphin. Another few seconds later, after the ride had started, Maile looks at me and she goes. : "Mommy, I LOVEEE the ride. I am having soo much fun. This is a special day!!"... I couldn't believe it. I mean here I am totally excited that she is having a good time but boy...talk about indecisions...is this what I have to look forward to when she's a teenager??

No comments:

Post a Comment