Thursday, October 7, 2010

A day for canning

Every year around fall time, you will notice that almost any family in Romania, starts buying tons of fruits and veggies to can/preserve for the winter. This practice has been very popular especially before 1989, the year of the Romanian Revolution, when certain ingredients were very difficult to find, particularly in the winter.
I, myself grew up with my mom canning lots of things for the winter. One of the most popular recipes that I remember is one that resembles somewhat of a caponata here in the States, but perhaps not as chunky.
It involves lots of roasted bell peppers, some roasted eggplant, tomatoes, onions, carrots and whatever spices you want to add to it. Almost every housewife has their own recipe for it and yesterday I decided to go ahead and make my own.
I had prepared this before but in a much smaller batch so I was very nervous especially since I had never canned anything before.
Luckily, I had my mom to give me some pointers and of course the internet was full of suggestions as well.



I LOVED the final result and look forward to enjoying this throughout the so called AZ winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment