Monday, January 31, 2011

January update

Boy, where do I even start? 2011 has kicked off really strong...at least for us it seemed like it. Our calendar has probably never been so busy.
I keep thinking it's because the girls are getting so much older and are involved in so much more. So much of it too, involved trips to the doctor, dentist and whatnot..so maybe I'd just let some things go and now they are finally catching up to me.
Maile had her 4 yr old appointment this month ( like I said, I was way overdue for this one), but knowing she was due for 5 shots, I kept putting it off. I kept thinking..just one more day where I don't have to subject her to the pain...and just like that it turned into 6 months later.
She is growing beautifully and very much proportionate to her body. She is in the 70th-80th percentile for both weight and height. She weighs 41 lbs and measures close to 42 in.
Here she is showing mommy 3 out of the 5 shots she got that day.
A trip to her favorite place to eat ( Rubios) later that night made it all better and she reminded us that even if she wasn't "brave" ( she kept saying that because she had cried), she was now feeling better. 

Another appointment that was way overdue was the girls first visit to the dentist. A friend of mine recommended a really good pediatric dentist and it ended up being a good experience for both of them. Audrey ( as always) ended up being a bit braver then Maile and actually allowed the staff to get x-rays of her teeth. Maile decided she was gonna pass. Both of them are cavity free...thank goodness. As a result of our dentist visit, we ended up approaching the subject of Audrey sucking her thumb for the past 3 years. We received some bitter nail polish called Mavala Stop and put it to use that very night. This stuff is prescription strength and VERY bitter. We were told we might want to pick up some sugar free candy/lollipops and offer her if she were to put her thumb in her mouth.
Sure enough, she did...and we gave her the candy.
The next day, after her nap I asked Audrey how she did not sucking her thumb. Her response to me was: "I did good"..then after a second she says..."well maybe I sucked my thumb just a little...could I get a candy??"
Not really a surprise coming from little miss Audrey who LOVES sweets just as much as her daddy.
Well, 2 weeks later we are happy to say our little girls is NOT a thumb sucker anymore and boy are we soo proud of her.
I can tell she is also very proud of herself and almost feels like a bigger girl because of it.






January was also a month of VERY many celebrations. I think we must've had at least 4 birthdays, and of course our anniversary.
I was hoping February might be a bit slower in that regards, but oh no...our calendar has started to fill up already.
I told Eric a few days ago, that I just wanted a WHOLE week filled with nothing...He reminded me that it was impossible since we have 2 kids in school. I told him, I am ok with just the school activities but not much more..haha...We'll see how it goes. I don't mean to sound like I am complaining. To all of this craziness, there's also a huge sense of accomplishment. I really feel like I am being productive and taking care of my family in the best way I can. And for them, I am always grateful, no matter how busy life gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment