I just can't believe that my little princess is turning 3 in just a few hours! It seems only like a few months ago when I found out I was carrying her under my heart and now she is 3!
She is our little doll, a little bit a tomboy but also a girlie princess. She is always ready to come up with something silly and funny and has such a beautiful spirit.Maile was born on August 31st at 5.31 AM at Mercy Gilbert Hospital and I can still remember that day so vividly. I arrived at the hospital the night before about as calm as anybody could be knowing full well I was going to be induced due to my gestational diabetes. My in laws were in town eagerly awaiting for the arrival of their 7th grandchild. We started that morning ( August 30th) by getting everything ready for the hospital and then we all went out and had lunch at one of my favorite places ( Crackers ) whose owner just happens to be Romanian. This is not a Romanian place by any means but it is soo simple and delicious.
At about 4PM we headed to the hospital where we got admitted right away. I ended up getting induced just before 6 PM that evening and started going into labor soon after. By 10.30 that night I had already gotten my epidural and the rest was just a waiting game. I remember being almost asleep in Eric's arms while waiting for Maile to arrive.
By 5 AM I was all ready and so was our little princess. She arrived at 5.31 AM just before the sun was starting to rise. She came out face up ( which is very unusual) and I could just remember her little blue eyes just staring at us trying to figure out where she was...who everyone was...and as I held her in my arms I was in pure awe. She was and always will be our first miracle.
I tried to rest that first night, after giving birth, but I couldn't sleep. I kept my baby with me most of the day. I counted her fingers and toes. I nursed her. Her father held her, talked to her and rocked her. Later that night I nursed her to sleep and put her in the bedside bassinet. I turned off the lights and climbed into bed after checking on her several times, just to make sure she was okay. Then I got back up and just stared at her. I felt as if my heart swelled several sizes and then I burst into tears. I was absolutely overwhelmed by the need to protect her, love her and do whatever was necessary to make sure she was perfectly happy.
The world seemed to stop spinning; only she and I existed. Nothing else mattered. I soon discovered that there was no such thing as spoiling a baby and found that one of the greatest joys of my life was rocking my baby to sleep.
Being a mom has brought me some of the richest friendships of my life. Friends that were there for me through every little step of the way! They have encouraged me and influenced me in ways that they may never even realize.I even saw my marriage in a different, even lovelier, light. Watching my husband be a father and seeing how gentle he was with my little one made me love him even more.
I have always thought that being a mother must be special, but until I actually became one I hadn't realised that my expectations were only the tip of the iceberg. I know that it's not something one says, but I honestly feel I will give my all, even my life, in a heartbeat, and that the love I feel for my baby is far more intense than anything I ever thought possible. It's certainly worth more than all the money in the world. It knows no boundaries, it fullfills you, brightens the darkest day, and I know that can heal the world.
Tomorrow is the day of her party and she could not be more excited....good night for now my little princess!
No comments:
Post a Comment